Re: Training design

Subject: Re: Training design
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Laurie Marshall <lauriejmarshall -at- att -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 16:32:30 -0700

Hi NIna,

Just an FYI, one of my managers discovered technical writing when he was a
technical instructor and made a career transition into writing. Our team
was divers and he encouraged us to share expertise by giving
mini-trainings. It was a great idea, and I think all of us got benefits
both from providing training and receiving training. The trainings were
informal and fun, and he made certain that they never interfered with our
writing projects.

Designing and implementing formal training for certification would be
completely different from our relaxed mode of sharing expertise. You'd need
a formal curriculum and you'd need to track trainee progress with tests. A
part time person would not be enough.

I think that you need to know what the purpose of the training is. I can
imagine scenarios where this job would be a wonderful opportunity for a
writer to expand their skill set, as long as the goals and objectives for
the various roles are within reason.

- Elisa

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 6:15 AM, Laurie Marshall <lauriejmarshall -at- att -dot- net>
wrote:

> Hi Nina,
> I am a tech writer at a small software company and I also do some of the
> training course development. My education is in TW, and I learned the
> Instructional Design piece on my own by attending courses, webinars,
> reading, etc. There's actually quite a bit of overlap in that many of the
> TW principles align nicely with ID. I have developed a variety of training
> presentations, videos, and supporting materials. One benefit of doing both
> is that I can ensure the consistent material and messaging is presented
> across all resources (e.g., the online help matches the course
> instructions).
> I'm happy to discuss with you directly if you want more information,
> Laurie Marshall

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain