Re: For references or directives, do you say where/why and then what/how, or vice versa?

Subject: Re: For references or directives, do you say where/why and then what/how, or vice versa?
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2018 10:42:05 -0400

My only qualm with this, handy as it can be, is that some steps may not be
associated with an item on the UI. If you use one graphic as a reference,
you potentially have a graphic with "missing" numbers, which I think would
be confusing. The alternative would be to use a graphic for almost every
step, which bloats the manual and requires a lot more work with graphics.

My current preference (subject to change with better data) is to use
letters as callouts on the graphic and refer the reader to that callout
letter. This was after much grumbling on my part, since my preference is to
use numbers, not letters, but the argument that the reader could interpret
the callout number as being associated with a numbered step was enough to
convince me to change my ways.

Lin Sims