Re: Oxygen WebHelp and Adobe Experience Manager

Subject: Re: Oxygen WebHelp and Adobe Experience Manager
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 12:07:15 -0700

Just an FYI, both Google and Apple have groups that use Sphinx-doc, which
is a build process for Restructured Text. There are several other companies
that have adopted Sphinx-doc for developer facing documentation.

Specifically for RESTful API documentation (and for documentation of
REST-like APIs) I have implemented Swagger2Markup and authored in Asciidoc,
which uses Asciidoctor for the build.

Both Asciidoc and Restructured Text are appealing to amny developers
because they are a bit like Markdown.

- Elisa

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 7:57 PM Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net> wrote:

> Oxygen and XMetal generate different webhelp output. No relation.
>
> I've used Oxygen webhelp, which is good. It's responsive so it works on
> small devices. Remember that each webhelp system you generate has its
> own self-contained search system. If your company uses a private search
> tool like Elasticsearch, and it is indexing your webhelp files, you
> might get funny results from it. Something to check for.
>
> If your company already has AEM (which is a big expensive web CMS, not
> the DITA CCMS add-on), then maybe the AEM DITA CCMS add-on could be
> interesting to you. But you don't want to buy AEM just to use the DITA
> CCMS, unless you have money to burn.
>
> I've used AEM by itself and I've noticed that marketing people seem to
> really like it. I think it's because it has nice tools they can use to
> get web analytics on their marketing campaigns and such. To customize it
> you often need Java programmers. It is not a great tool to use for
> displaying big doc sets, because AEM is set up to make you create each
> page using AEM, not in some outside authoring tool. Dumping big sets of
> doc files on it (like a webhelp system) causes it to get confused over
> time. Maybe the DITA CCMS add-on handles this in some way.
>
> I also used the DITA CCMS add-on to AEM about 1.5 years ago just after
> it came out of beta. A client had been a beta site for it. They were
> already using DITA and were not using many features of the CCMS yet. But
> it seemed to be reasonably good feature-wise compared to other DITA
> CCMSes. It used the DITA Open Toolkit for publishing, but you could also
> use Adobe's Framemaker publishing server (about 10k last I heard), which
> lets you do styling in the Framemaker editor and publish it, bypassing
> the DITA OT.
>
> But I doubt you need it, explained above. There are smaller, much more
> affordable DITA CCMSes like easyDITA that you might look at. Or you can
> just keep your DITA source files in something like Git. Or if you want a
> full blown standalone DITA CCMS you could look at Ixiasoft or SDL.
>
> Mark Giffin
> Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
>
> On 9/13/2018 1:44 PM, Robert Lauriston wrote:
> > Do Oxygen XML and XMetal generate the same web help? My impression is
> > that Oxygen's is proprietary.
> >
> > Oxygen XML's forum seems a lot busier than XMetal's:
> >
> > https://www.oxygenxml.com/forum
> > http://forums.xmetal.com/
> >
> > On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Bee Hanson <beelia -at- pacbell -dot- net> wrote:
> > ... I used XMetaL too, DITA is DITA ...
> > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy
> and content development | https://techwhirl.com

> > You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot-

> > Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com -dot- Visit
> [...]

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com