Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 157, Issue 14

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 157, Issue 14
From: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: Steven Jong <stevefjong -at- comcast -dot- net>, TECHWR-L Digest <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:11:56 -0800

Steven,

This might not be the XML editor but you could try changing the setting. (With XMetal it might not be a GUI setting, I think there is a config file that needs to change.) It could be that in the conversion from Vasont to SDL, extra spaces were added. Usually you have to export the files from one CCMS and import them into the next CCMS. Spaces at the end of paragraphs could have resulted from this export/import activity. If the XML editor change does not fix it, you can usually do a batch change in other ways.

By the way a DITA CCMS is a different beast from git. A CCMS is not a programmer's tool. Usually they have some kind of diff tool that shows changes between versions, but I don't recall any merge tools. You'd probably have to use something like Oxygen for that if you needed it.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://www.markgiffin.com/

On 23-Nov-18 7:14 AM, Steven Jong wrote:

Mark Giffin wrote:

There is a conflict between XML (including DITA) and source control programs like Git. XML by default does not care about white space like carriage returns, tabs, spaces, it works at a level above plain text. You can change a few spaces and carriage returns in a DITA XML file and there will be no validation errors from a DITA or XML viewpoint. An XML editor like XMetal or Oxygen or FrameMaker won't care. But those white space changes are noticed by git, which is set up to notice ANY change to a source code file, which is what programmers want.
When we moved from a Vasont CMS to SDL CMS, despite using the same editor (XMetaL) in both environments, I noticed that spaces began to appear at the end of every paragraph. I thought this was another writer doing it, and spent time contemplating whether this might somehow be a good typing practice just in case you wanted to add another sentence. No, I thought, this is dumb, and I started passive-aggressively removing them, but no, it was the softwareâthe spaces were reintroduced without anyone else touching the files. I caught myself before I went off the deep end (or, perhaps, just afterwards).

(No, fortunately, Git was not involved. No, it made no difference in the rendered output. Yes, it was passive-aggressive to change them back without asking if someone was introducing them. Yes, I was wasting effort.)

Iâll have to see if I can find the setting to turn this behavior off in future.

âSteve
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net -dot-

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com