Re: I know why Word is a four letter word

Subject: Re: I know why Word is a four letter word
From: Jay Maechtlen <techwriter -at- laserpubs -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 14:25:54 -0800

On 11/20/2019 9:57 AM, John Posada wrote:

Hi, guys...after being an FM user for more than 5 years, I feel I'm having
to learn Word (v2016) all over again.

For the last 3 days, I've been wrestling with styles. In effect, my issue
is, when I define a style, I want it to stay defined exactly how I defined
it. I don't want to have it indent on me, If I define a bullet with a .25
indent, I want it to STAY indented .25 and not change on me. If I make a
line a bullet, I don't want the whole F'ing document to turn bullet.

I WISH I could make this place an FM shop, but there is just too much
document collaboration needed here and even I can't see the overall
advantage.

Thanks guys.

Well - Word is quite capable, but much of its power is directed to the beginner and casual user.

Power users turn a lot of the automatic stuff off, redefine many of the default styles and reset inheritance to the way they want.

For example, I usually set Heading 1 to inherit from nothing, but the other headings each inherit from the one above.

And, of course, there's always the 'gotcha' that the attributes such as bold and italic aren't absolutes, but toggles.

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com