Re: Ig Nobel documentation

Subject: Re: Ig Nobel documentation
From: Keith Soltys <keith -at- soltys -dot- ca>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 09:10:13 -0500

Ventura was a great program for its time. Back in the early 1990s used it to publish a science fiction fanzine and it ran acceptably on an original IBM PC that had been upgraded to a 386 processor. Recently, I dug back through my archives for the original files because I wanted to make an ebook of some of the interviews I had published. I was going to OCR the pages, but found that the Ventura files were basically ASCII text with a few codes and some binary grunge that I could easily clean up and dump into Word.

Try doing that with an early FrameMaker file.

Regards
Keith

On 12/31/2019 8:27 PM, John Allred wrote:

I used to be a strong proponent for Ventura, right up until my last update of equipment and OS in the past couple of months. Although Corel ceased upgrades past 2002, I continued using it for above 15 years. Doubtful anyone is interested, but I have some sample docs on my portfolio web site that are incredibly complex. I couldn't imagine learning new software to accomplish what I did back then. One example is a telephone directory for state agencies and employees. Ventura had a bundled database publisher that made this doable, with care and effort. http://nwatechwriting.com/docs/phonebook.pdf, if interested. FWIW, my name appears on page 35.

Just feeling lowly at this mention, since I finally pulled the plug on it this month. I just couldn't make it operate under Win10.

Very sad.

~John Allred

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com