SDLC Documentation

Subject: SDLC Documentation
From: Jason L <dotlogue -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2022 17:52:01 -0500

Hello,

*TL;DR version: I need help developing an SDLC document that will help this
large healthcare IT company prepare for an external audit, and oh by the
way, I've never developed an SDLC from scratch. *

I am a contract technical writer and recently started working remotely for
a healthcare IT company. This is a large-ish company that has been gobbling
up other smaller IT companies, and one of those companies (a medical
credentialing company I will call RealDoc from now on) is the one I'm
tasked with helping.

As a whole, this company is going through the HITRUST audit certification
process (think NIST, SOC, HIPAA, etc), and they needed help with
documentation in the process. This is the third HITRUST process I've been a
part of, and I'd like to think I know enough to be helpful and even do some
BA work as well.

I came on board about three weeks ago, and initially they asked me to read
through and do some basic editing of their policies. This was the third or
fourth go around, so I didn't find many issues. There have been no daily
stands or even weekly meetings yet. I have not been given access to any
typical matrices that show audit requirements, gaps, exceptions, or who
owns those areas, etc.

After I finished the initial policy reviews, I had to poke and prod a bit
to find out what was next. The hiring manager said I needed to work with a
director of RealDoc and find out how I can help them with their SDLC
process. After some awkward meetings with product managers, the director
and back and forth emails, I've discovered RealDoc does not have an SDLC at
all - they are trying to create one from scratch. They had developed a
product team playbook and sent it to me, but it didn't really go into
things I expect to see in an SDLC (planning, requirements gathering,
development, quality assurance), but instead was focused on talking about
epics/user stories/features or bugs/issues. There were some basic Visio
diagrams that mapped out the different software development states.

As I said earlier, I'm communicating consistently with the RealDocs
director. I am hoping to get an idea from him about who I should have
meetings with - the SMEs, the respective leads for each application's qa,
devops, cloud, and release teams. My plan is to meet with them and have
them walk me through their parts of the SDLC process. And after that
probably create an outline, workflow diagram and go from there. I've been
googling SDLC document, but keep coming up with deliverables in the SDLC
like use cases, business requirements, design docs, test scripts, etc.

Do any of you have input on this? It seems overwhelming and vague right
now, and as I said, it's been hard to connect with stakeholders.

Thanks for your help.

-Jason
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com