Re: Ramblings

Subject: Re: Ramblings
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 13:53:45 -0500

Still here. But apparently no one needs a techwriter anymore... or so they
think.

I recently finished redoing an IFU for a senior care center HW/SW package.
The entity's manager thought they could knock it out in MS Word during
meetings (where their attention span was clearly divided). They knew not
the first thing about formatting, styles, word wrap, et al.ânever mind that
the final version of such a complex work should never be created using
Word's house of cards methodology.

Oh, and did I mention the multiple, overlaid chartreuse rectangles used as
callouts on numerous screenshots? (They looked like part of the UI design
and did not command readers' attention.) These I painstakingly reworked,
adding corresponding numbers in some cases to match the textual steps.

What irks me is that several years back I created the original IFU set for
the HW/SW predecessor from scratch. The company had sent me all of the
HW/SW so I could see how it all *really *operated, take my own screenshots,
et al. This was all done under the auspices of the same POW manager who
over the past several years decided they were endowed with superpowers.

And then there is the newly minted Hemmings content manager who, in a piece
about headlight glare, wrote:

Complaints from drivers' who are being blinded...

(I let that person know, but did I get a thank you?)

Arrrgghh....

Chris Morton
https://linktr.ee/IsntThatWrite
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring