Aw: Re: Collaborative Articles on LinkedIn - Thoughts?

Subject: Aw: Re: Collaborative Articles on LinkedIn - Thoughts?
From: e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2023 12:20:58 +0100

I think that providing content for free is not necessarily a bad thing.
The internet and many many fora and chat groups from the still working
IRC even, helped me a lot in learning new techniques and mastering
them. I like to give back what I received, in a way. I also think it
depends on the organization or company.
For me, LinkedIn is a place that has lots of people and companies
around I find interesting to connect with. I use it too, to show my
expertise in our field of work, technical communication, technical
documentation.
I also think that each person should decide for themselves what they
are ready to do - would like to avoid.
Apart from downright illegal actions! A no go.

That's why I appreciate the information on the layoff of so many
people. I also think, remembering history, the pattern is familiar -
for example the time when cars became part of human life, a lot of
professions related to horse keeping and carriage driving became
extinct.
I think we need to face AI and its implications, stop illegal and
unethical uses - and get training to be prepared.

Kind Regards
Nina

Gesendet: Dienstag, 05. Dezember 2023 um 23:12 Uhr
Von: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
An: "Tony Chung" <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net
Cc: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
It's one thing when a request for information comes from some
accredited
edu organization or a professional society or site one has joined with
the expectation of knowledge exchange (for example, techwr-l). But when
it comes from some place that is clearly a for-profit enterprise, it's
pretty much a given that you are being asked to work or provide
marketable content for free.
Gene Kim-Eng
On 12/5/2023 7:34 AM, Tony Chung wrote:
> As if on cue, I saw this on LinkedIn today:
>
> Quote from Joseph Perry:
>
> LinkedIn laid off their entire content team and is now trying to
trick you
> into doing their work for free because Microsoft over invested in AI.
That
> is why you've been "invited to contribute to this collaborative
article." I
> promise LinkedIn doesn't actually value your credentials. Don't give
social
> media companies free labor.

[1]https://www.linkedin.com/posts/lousyhacker_linkedin-laid-off-their-e
ntire-content-team-activity-7136813781573083136-Q1QD