Quality

Subject: Quality
From: John Oriel <oriel -at- NTSC-RD -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1993 14:22:00 EST

Mary Beth Raven,

I'm curious about your from-line, "Focus on 3 things: Quality, Quality,
Quality." Can you tell me what constitutes quality in your products? If
quality means freedom from defects, then what constitutes a defect, and how
can you detect those defects?

I've decided, with regard to my own work, to define a defect as being an
opportunity for misunderstanding. My definition of misunderstanding, includes
more than just simple failure to communicate. It also covers those situations
where the reader is actively looking for interpretations that the writer did
not intend. Where money is involved, you might be inclined to call such cases
fraud, except that legally proving fraud involves proving intent to defraud.

Have you any suggestions on how I may detect such opportunities for
misunderstanding?

John Oriel 8-)