Desperately seeking sites

Subject: Desperately seeking sites
From: Thomas Barker <DITTB -at- TTACS -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1993 16:17:00 CDT

Technical writers and STC members:

I and a colleague, Professor Patricia Goubil-Gambrell, at Texas Tech University
wish to find suitable sites for research into end-use computing in the
Long Island, New York area.

Background

Our work focuses on the strategic use of computer software in
R&D (and other) environments. We have designed surveys that uncover
characteristics of individual information management behaviors of
end users of CAD and other applications. Results directly address
the productivity concerns of information systems managers, computer
documenters, and computer support professionals.

Research type: quantitative and qualitative (surveys and follow-
up case studies)
Funding: State of Texas Research Enhancement Fund, STC
funding. We arrange funding for all our work, so
the only cost to sites involves employee
participation.
Time frames: starting in Fall, 1993
Sites: R&D, manufacturing, industry, mid-sized
businesses
Population sizes:
300 to 400 individuals (or variable). We like to do random,
stratified samples, which require a research population
of about 3-4k persons.
Current projects:
"Computer Use in an R&D Environment" at
Brookhaven National Lab, Upton, NY (funded by the STC)

"An Empirical Study of Strategic Software Use"
(finding pending at Texas Tech University)

Please send names of possible contacts to "dittb -at- ttacs" or write
to:
Thomas Barker
Technical Communication Program
Texas Tech University