Re: undergrad tech writing students

Subject: Re: undergrad tech writing students
From: Gladys_We -at- SFU -dot- CA
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1993 11:20:11 -0800

>However, other students have expressed considerable interest in the
> list and the idea of tech writing as a career choice.

Something amusing for you folks in the US...
We run non-credit courses in technical writing at Simon Fraser University
(Vancouver, Canada). In one of the introductory courses this January, a
student asked if an undergrad/graduate degree in technical writing was an
asset. The instructor's answer: "Well, it would have a little novelty
value." (There are no established programs in technical writing in Canada;
almost every technical writer in Vancouver has come from another field,
with very few credentials in technical writing.)

>Speaking of career choices: how is technical writing as a source of
>bread and butter?
It seems to be fine for the ones who can find work... They seem to have
more than they can handle. But it also seems to take a few years to
establish yourself as a technical writer, if you don't find a fulltime job
right away and need to freelance for a while.
Gladys We * we -at- sfu -dot- ca
Writing & Publishing Program
Simon Fraser University at Harbour Centre