RE: undergrads and email

Subject: RE: undergrads and email
From: "Bryant, Kate" <KBryant -at- ADMIN -dot- CLEMSONSC -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1993 11:56:00 PST

>A disadvantage of email is that it handicaps poor spellers and poor
writers,
>AND runs a greater risk of miscommunication than face to face conversation.
>Irony and sarcasm don't work on email, for example.
>But it is still better than NO communication.

Another disadvantage crops up when users get a high volume of messages and
don't agree on what communication should be expected to occur through E-mail
or how we should determine what to read. We're all guilty of deleting
messages without opening them. This is a valuable benefit of E-mail in many
situations, but can cause big problems if the sender distributes an
important message only be E-mail, thinking it will be read, and the intended
receiver blips it away.

Kate Bryant
KBryant -at- admin -dot- ClemsonSC -dot- NCR -dot- com