Re: Another interesting piece

Subject: Re: Another interesting piece
From: "Michael E. Pare" <mep -at- AQUA -dot- WHOI -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1993 14:30:46 -0500

a couple facts to think about before you rush over to your off switch.

1. Most home computers consume less power than two 100w light bulbs
and put in those terms I doubt very much if the power they are
consuming is a critical issue. This article notes the 5% is at
the commercial level...what has this to do with home PC's...
nothing. Just someone ranting and raving and using the wrong
facts to make a point.

2. Powering a computer up and down is the most strenuous activity it
will face and is the leading cause of failures next to power
surges...which by the way aren't necessarily eliminated simply by
powering it off. The costs saved by powering it down everyday
will not pay for the repairs to the equipment caused by this
fatigue.

3. The monitor is NOT the largest consumer of power. The CPU cabinet
is, so powering off the monitor will not save much. Most use less
power than a 60w light bulb.

My guess is there was enough power wasted in posting this message all over the
place as requested to power most of these systems for a long time.

Proper use of electricity is everyone's responsibility, but let's keep to the
facts and not put guilt where it doesn't belong.

Michael Pare', PE