Re: Getting Started in Tech Writing

Subject: Re: Getting Started in Tech Writing
From: CWSMITH -at- ARIZVMS -dot- BITNET
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1993 12:49:54 -0700

Hi Tom,

I'm originally from Milwaukee and understand your frustration. I acquired my
technical writing experience as an Applications Engineer Trainee with
Johnson Controls (downtown office). Have you sought employment with any of
the utilities (WI Electric, WI Gas, etc.)? At the time I was seeking to
relocate out West, the utilities were seeking Tech Writers. Salaries were
ranging from $2200 - 3300 a month. Of course, you would have to start at the
bottom and work your way up however, you could still acquire the necessary
software experience needed to make yourself more marketable. Don't rely on
the Placement Office at "U-dub". I found them to be useless! Another company
you could try is Delco Electronics in Oak Creek. Good Luck!!

Cortez Smith
University of Arizona
College of Medicine