Thanks for the advice >> Another question

Subject: Thanks for the advice >> Another question
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1993 10:44:04 CST

Thanks to everyone who responded about the "readers who
don't read" (or writers who don't say what they mean).
I really appreciate the suggestions, and I am getting
ready to reevaluate our style to see if there is any
way to incorporate some of the suggestions without
completely redoing our whole setup.

Our whole publication setup is in flux, as it has been
since I started. What we really need is a style guide
on paper, rather than in my head and Pagemaker style
sheets. Unfortunately, that will have to wait until
after the next crisis ends.

This time, however, I am planning ahead for the crisis.
We will be implementing a CWIS (Campus Wide Information
Server) in the very near future, and I will be doing
most of the information side of it. Does anyone have
any horror stories which could serve me as an object
lesson, or can anyone claim complete happiness with
their approach? I realize that there are other forums
for this sort of discussion, but I am looking for the
technical writer perspective, not the techie view of
the world.

We have a UNIX platform, but haven't decided on
software yet, so I have a fair amount of control about
what I do. All we know is that we will be trying to
adhere to Z39.50 standards.

Additionally, while I know that I should
rewrite/restructure/redo all of the information and not
just dump ASCII text out there, the political situation
here will probably not allow me that luxury. Does
anyone have any suggestions on quick, fairly automated,
ways of getting acceptable and usable information out
there quickly?

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu