Documentation Proposal

Subject: Documentation Proposal
From: AMY WELDEN <awelden -at- SOSC1 -dot- SOSC -dot- OSSHE -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1993 08:54:13 -0700

I'm working part time at a small college as a tech writer and computer
network assistant. The campus is just starting to hook up the various
buildings and faculty to the network. As one person put it, we're dragging
the campus into the 20th century now that we're at the end of it.

Anyway, I'm the only tech writer working for the college and my job ends at
the end of the quarter when I finish my degree. We have the bare minimum
of manuals and the others in computing services are techies and not very
enlightened as the benefits of usable, current documentation. I'd like to
write a proposal for the department and school outlining a documentation
plan and the benefits of having on going documentation and a staff to
produce it.

I'd like to hear from those of you who work for academia producing
documentation and those who have used documentation in academia. And
anyone else who has an opinion. What areas need documenting the most?
What documents get the most use? Do you have any info on how
documentation decreased service and help calls? Any suggestions or
comments on what should go into the proposal?

Thanks

Amy W.
awelden -at- sosc1 -dot- sosc -dot- osshe -dot- edu