Re: creating online documents with FrameMaker

Subject: Re: creating online documents with FrameMaker
From: "Bryant, Kate" <KBryant -at- ADMIN -dot- CLEMSONSC -dot- NCR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1993 14:37:00 PDT

>I'm currently researching the options for a FrameMaker online help
>system. No screen captures involved, but I currently think that
>FrameMaker might run too slowly to be an effective or convenient to run
>an online help system. I've heard recently about about a "view only"
>version of Framemaker that might be ideal for this purpose. Has anybody
>seen this version of FrameMaker in action?

>Anatole Wilson

Comments from a friend who is also doing an evaluation (for PCs):

Don't know who is asking, but I would suggest they call Frame Corp.
directly. Frame used FrameMaker to create their own help system in all
their products. Personally, I don't like it. I don't know why anyone would
choose this product to create a help system unless they want something that
runs on several OS platforms. FrameMaker would serve that purpose very
well. Otherwise, I would recommend using the standard Windows help, which
is far less expensive and quick.

FYI, FrameMaker is a non-SGML tool, FrameBuilder is an SGML tool (otherwise
the same product as FrameMaker), and FrameViewer is a runtime module for
viewing any FrameMaker or FrameBuilder document.

Kate
KBryant -at- admin -dot- clemsonsc -dot- ncr -dot- com