Re: What students should know

Subject: Re: What students should know
From: Carol Carmick <Carol_Carmick -at- BEAV -dot- INTERSOLV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 13:11:00 LCL

> * How to let go of an imperfect project.

Right on, Chet. My personal mantra in moments of rampant
perfectionism: "Don't get it right -- get it written."

Another one, or an elaboration of this one: How to give your
last ounce of blood to a project while retaining your objectivity
and emotional distance. How to take criticism without getting
defensive. How to retain your equilibrium when the product is a
total flop, or is never released, or is changed massively at the
last minute, or or or...

On second thought, I think there's only one school that teaches
this lesson: the School of Hard Knocks. (Happily, your tuition
is paid by your employer.)

Here's another lesson I learned there: Triage. How to
prioritize in the face of limited resources. What to do if you
only have 4 days to copy-edit a 400 page manual. Tarutz's
_Technical Editing_ has a good section on this.

Carol