Re: A usage question

Subject: Re: A usage question
From: "Philip H. Kachelmyer" <PHK -at- UMNACVX -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1993 11:13:53 -0600

On 03 May 1993 08:48:08 -0700 (PDT), Fred M Jacobson wrote:

>Now for something a lot more specific:

>> I have found also that educating people about the "behind-the-scenes"
>> interactions of one software with another ...
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^

>I seem to be hearing this more and more, but I don't think I've seen it
>written before this. I always use "software" as a collective noun or as
>an adjective. (I would never say, "I lost my self-control and bought
>three softwares for my PC on the way home from work.") Is the above
>usage and similar ones, such as "a new software for the Mac," acceptable
>in writing? in formal speech? (I don't ask about informal speech, because
>there I accept whatever communicates best.)

I agree with you, Fred. You purchase "applications", and applications work
with each other (or don't). "Software" is a much more encompassing term
and includes the "operating system", "utilities", and other things that
make an entire system work. I believe it best to use these terms instead
of the more general "software" term.

Philip H. Kachelmyer voice: (612) 625-6821
Computer & Information Services fax: (612) 625-6817
University of Minnesota e-mail: phk -at- boombox -dot- micro -dot- umn -dot- edu
100 Union St. SE \_/ A hot dog at the ball park is better than
Minneapolis, MN 55455 USA/|\ a steak at the Ritz. -Humphrey Bogart