Re: FIFO

Subject: Re: FIFO
From: Anatole Wilson <aw3a+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 09:00:31 -0400

>If you are writing a technical document, you may want to use the term
>First In/First Out (FIFO). The term is oriented to describing arrays
>in programming. It may be of use in what you are writing.

>Chris Loris
>harris -dot- cloris -at- ic1d -dot- harris -dot- com
>Technical Writer
>Air Traffic Control Systems Division
>Harris Corporation-Electronic Systems Sector

I don't know...

Isn't this introducing yet another acronym/jargon term into your documents?

From the few posts about this on the net, I gather that this term has a
long history and several different usages in different industries. It
seems to me that when you "borrow" a term from another industry and give
it a new meaning, you risk confusing any part of your audience that is
familiar with the old meaning.

So what purpose will FIFO serve? How will it enhance a reader's
understanding of arrays? And how can we use it in the least confusing
way possible?

Anatole Wilson
Masters in Professional Writing program, Carnegie Mellon University