Re: If you are not a tech writer...

Subject: Re: If you are not a tech writer...
From: Stuart Selber <SSELBER -at- MTUS5 -dot- CTS -dot- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 08:34:16 EST

ie. what is "technical" writing. I think there are often distinctions made
by various people (I'm really thinking of published here) between technical,
professional, scientific, and other types of writing that I think are
interesting (in terms of understanding agendas/ideology) but not necessarily
useful to those people who are involved in a wide range of communication
activities (you have all so interestingly discussed what you do each day). I
tend to side with those on the list who have defined technical writing in very
broad and inclusive terms, and who see part of their job as working with
specialized and situated knowledge (whether it's about computer software or
modern dance) in some capacity: perhaps by helping other people understand it
as in documentation, or in some other way.

Stuart Selber
Michigan Tech