Re: Advice on systems

Subject: Re: Advice on systems
From: Scott R Knitter <knitters -at- STUDENT -dot- MSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 20:29:38 EDT

Paula Reynolds wrote:

> I was hired to improve the system. However, they want me to improve the
> system for no money. Since that isn't going to happen, I was hoping for
> advice on which system to use: PageMaker, FrameMaker, or Word for
> Windows. And even if you don't have advice, I'd appreciate information
> on the setup your company uses.

Paula, I would put in a vote for Microsoft Word. You wrote that the manuals
are very basic; you can make some big improvements in Word and not spend the
$600 for PageMaker. Word gives you the best text-formatting features and the
easiest style definitions. Our department (a proposal group at EDS) uses Word
for most text-heavy documents and PageMaker for newsletters and other short
documents. Another reason why we use Word (for Macintosh) is that many of our
internal customers have Word for Windows, and translations are a breeze if they
need copies on disk.

Scott Knitter
knitters -at- student -dot- msu -dot- edu
East Lansing, Michigan