Re: Fax Machines

Subject: Re: Fax Machines
From: "Bruce B. Harper" <BHARPER -at- VTVM1 -dot- CC -dot- VT -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1993 08:40:30 EDT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1993 21:16:46 EDT Greg Kushmerek said:
>I am sorry to waste this bandwidth and appear to be such a carmudgeon,
>but there were too many posts for me to respond individually:

>Please do not post material about fax machines to a list dedicated to
>Technical Writing issues. A more appropriate area would be comp.dcom.fax
>on USENET. If you don't have that, there are other mailing lists
>on listservs and the like dedicated to hardware discussion.

Well, excuse me, but this mini-discussion of fax machines fits quite
well into discussions of Technical Writing issues. Granted, it isn't quite
the same as a grammar or style discussion, but in these days of working at
home or on the road, a good fax modem could be the difference between
getting a project done or landing a consulting contract. I am sure that
tapping into comp.dcom.fax would produce a great amount of useful
information on the nitty-gritty operating specs of Brand A vs. Brand B,
but the original question was a generic "I need some advice on a fax modem"
that didn't call for fine-print specifications answers. I am sure there
are others on the list who aren't familier with fax modems and the need
to convert the resulting images into useable text to import into a
document.
Happy Monday!
Bruce

Administrative Display System Bruce B. Harper, Manager
130 Smyth Hall, Institutional Research
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0433
(703)231-4373
BHARPER -at- VTVM1 (BITNET) or BHARPER -at- VTVM1 -dot- CC -dot- VT -dot- EDU (Internet)