FAX to TEXT

Subject: FAX to TEXT
From: "S.North" <north -at- HGL -dot- SIGNAAL -dot- NL>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1993 09:20:35 +0200

I know some readers think this discussion shouldn't be here, but I think it
*is* relevant to our profession.

The original posting asked about the best FAX machine, and I said that I could
not say much about them since I had opted for a FAX modem. At the time I
didn't really say why - but now we come to it. In a nutshell, it's "horses for
courses".

Faxes were intended to allow the transmission of images: drawings, sketches,
artwork and, ultimately, handwriting. The personal computer 'interfered' and
we can now convert text into faxes - but now you are asking how to convert
faxes *back* into text again. IMHO this is a complete misuse of the medium!

Since I have a fax *modem*, which can operate as either a fax interface or as
a 'normal' modem (and it can automatically tell the difference between the
two), I can still have text sent to me by modem. The conversion is then
unnecessary. I use faxes for the purpose for which they were intended, and
modem transmission for what they were intended...

Simon JJ North BA EngTech FISTC Consultant, Communication of
north -at- hgl -dot- signaal -dot- nl Technical Information
Tel: (+31)-(0)74-483533 (work) Quality Group
(+31)-(0)5490-28623 (home) Software Research & Development
-------------------------------- Hollandse Signaalapparaten BV
The opinions expressed do not PO Box 42, 7550 GD Hengelo
represent those of my employer. The Netherlands.