Re: Licensing tech. communicators

Subject: Re: Licensing tech. communicators
From: Gene Barron <barron -at- PUBS02 -dot- SI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1993 10:50:00 EDT

Licensing technical communicators would require that all companies impose the
same requirements on technical communicators e.g., our company requires that a
technical writer have a better than average knowledge in its associated tech
field. As a matter of fact, when a writer finishes a manual, he knows more about
the subject than the engineer that designed it. On the other hand I know of
some employers that require little more than an editing capability.

Who would be in charge of certification?

Gene Barron
Smiths Industries
Aerospace & Defense Systems
Grand Rapids MI 49518-8727