function, routine ...

Subject: function, routine ...
From: "S.North" <north -at- HGL -dot- SIGNAAL -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 08:59:19 +0200

A function is: a program unit that given values for input parameters computes
a value.

A routine is: another name for subroutine, used usually in combinations, as in
input routine.

A subroutine is: a piece of code that is obeyed 'out of line', i.e. control is
transferred to the subroutine, and on its completion control reverts to the
instruction following the call.

And, just for the sake of completeness,

A procedure is: a section of a program that carries out some well-defined
operation on data specified by parameters. It can be called from anywhere in
program, and different parameters can be provided for each call.

These definitions are taken from the Oxford Dictionary of Computing, Oxford
University Press, ISBN 0 19 853825 1 - which I highly recommend.

Hope this helps.

Simon JJ North BA EngTech FISTC Consultant, Communication of
north -at- hgl -dot- signaal -dot- nl Technical Information
Tel: (+31)-(0)74-483533 (work) Quality Group
(+31)-(0)5490-28623 (home) Software Research & Development
-------------------------------- Hollandse Signaalapparaten BV
The opinions expressed do not PO Box 42, 7550 GD Hengelo
represent those of my employer. The Netherlands.