Re: New Newsgroups/Listserv Questions (was STC Bulletin Board)

Subject: Re: New Newsgroups/Listserv Questions (was STC Bulletin Board)
From: Bill Konrad <konrad -at- SAGE -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1993 15:19:11 EST

Eric Ray writes:

> (not specifically to Chris)
> As far as the list not being in a "traditional" USENET category, why not just
> ask your administrator to add a bit.* newsfeed? I imagine that employers or
> institutions which carry news at all would be happy to provide something which
> seems (to me at least) to be useful, even if it means adding a few new groups.

I've asked admins here to allow our Unix newsreaders to read bit.*
groups, but they replied that it was not a high priority item for
them. The bit.* lists ARE available on an IBM 3090 VM here (Purdue's
Bitnet gateway) but they are not available on any of the Unix machines
except as mailing lists. But there are several other lists in the
"regular" Usenet hierarchy which are uni- or bi-directional gateways
to mail lists (e.g. comp.text.desktop and DTP-L or alt.aldus.pagemaker
and PAGEMAKR among others). Some of those mail lists are Bitnet based
Listservs and others are Unix-types lists.

When I asked the computing center here about carrying the bit.* groups
on Unix machines, they gave no indications as to what the obstacles to
it were. Aside from the bit.* lists, Purdue has a fairly complete
offering of other Usenet groups. They seem to be added automatically.
The point being, that the bit.* lists do not have nearly the same
distribution as the regular lists. But then, I don't adminster
gateway with not just the bit.* group but a regular newsgroup as well.

Bill Konrad | What am I doing at a level of
konrad -at- sage -dot- cc -dot- purdue -dot- edu | consciousness where this is real?