Re: Displaying a postscript file

Subject: Re: Displaying a postscript file
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1993 16:11:50 -0500

> I'm looking for a program that will display a postscript file in an X-window.
> Has anyone heard of products like Ghostview, PageView, etc? Please send info
> if you can.

> Thank you,
> Jack Yellig

We use Ghostview here, and I think we're generally happy with the
results.

Ghostview (at least the version we use) is free software. From the
Ghostview man page:

AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1992 Timothy O. Theisen

the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at
your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
General Public License for more details.

Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

Author: Tim Theisen Systems Programmer
Internet: tim -at- cs -dot- wisc -dot- edu Department of Computer Sciences
UUCP: uwvax!tim University of Wisconsin-Madison
Phone: (608)262-0438 1210 West Dayton Street
FAX: (608)262-9777 Madison, WI 53706

ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
The Select File widget contains the following copyright notice:

Copyright 1989 Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan

Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose and without fee is hereby granted,
provided that the above copyright notice appear in all copies and that
both that copyright notice and this permission notice appear in
supporting documentation, and that the name of Software Research
Associates not be used in advertising or publicity pertaining to
distribution of the software without specific, written prior
permission. Software Research Associates makes no representations
about the suitability of this software for any purpose. It is
provided "as is" without express or implied warranty.

SOFTWARE RESEARCH ASSOCIATES DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO
THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND
FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL SOFTWARE RESEARCH ASSOCIATES BE LIABLE FOR
ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES
WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN
ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT
OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Author: Erik M. van der Poel
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan
erik -at- sra -dot- co -dot- jp

It is available via anonymous ftp from a number of places. One source
is the Interworks Library (iworks.ecn.uiowa.edu -- 128.255.18.10 in the
directory "comp.hp"). Other large repositories of UNIX software are the
following:

ftp.uu.net (137.39.1.9)
gatekeeper.dec.com (16.1.0.2)
wuarchive.wustl.edu (128.252.125.4)

The ghostview package actually consists of "ghostscript" which is the
Postscript previewer and "ghostview" which is the X11 user interface for
ghostscript. In any case, someone interested in it should get all the
stuff to be sure.

My system adminstrator actually emailed me most of this material. I
mention this to avoid creating the impression I'm an expert in this
area. Ghostview seems to work well enough for me, however.

Good luck.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer | "Eat well, stay fit, die anyway." |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| - Bumper sticker |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|