Re: Job Information

Subject: Re: Job Information
From: Barry Maid <BMMAID -at- UALR -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 09:07:08 -0500

Sorry to appear defensive, but I do feel a need to respond to Janie's post.

I think most of what she says is right. In fact that's why our master's program
in tech writing is working hard to encourage our students to do internships and
get "real world" experience while still in school. Actually, we also do this
with our undergrads as well. Right now we're beginning conversations with our
campus cooperative ed program trying to find extended paid internships for our
students. Having a portfolio of real work is significantly more important than
school assignments.

Our program is also working closely with the local STC chapter to insure that
our students get a good perspective of what life as a tech writer means. I'm
convinced that the more contact those of us in the academy have with practicing
tech writers, the more valuable are programs become to our students.

Barry Maid
bmmaid -at- ualr