Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.

Subject: Re: Should STC be on this list? Yes.
From: Ann Balaban <annb -at- DADD -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 08:26:08 CDT

> high fees. Where any three STC members gather together they
> complain about the cost of the Annual Conference, yet the
> STC International officers are unresponsive to complaints about
> this.

Even large companies are questioning the cost of the STC conference,
especially with the luke-warm reviews given this year's conference.
We were allowed to send five people because it was in Dallas, where
we are located. Since it is so expensive, only one person per
department is usually allowed to go. So it's not only small company
employees and academics that are shut out.

Also, many of the attendees I talked with were dissatisfied with the
level of expertise offered at this year's conf. We feel that the true
technical writers are left out. Most of the sessions addressed commercial
software user doc writers and financial/banking inst. writers. Most of
it sounded more like business writing than technical writing.
In one manual competition, even a judge said she couldn't evaluate
a book because it was too technical!!! This from a Society of Technical
Communicators??
Any comments?

Annb -at- dadd -dot- ti -dot- com