Re: Job Information

Subject: Re: Job Information
From: Ad absurdum per aspera <jtchew -at- CSA3 -dot- LBL -dot- GOV>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1993 13:42:00 PST

>The hiring manager, however, was only interested in his portfolio,
>and barely glanced as his resume.

Yup.

Look, you've got to do three things. Get their attention (in a
positive way -- I've seen some perfectly sober recommendations
of outrageous approaches that I don't think would get you hired
to dance around the ballpark in a chicken suit). Show that
you're qualified. And finally, make them see YOU rather than
the job title for which you're applying. If you don't accomplish
that, they'll have no reason to prefer you over the 10 technical
writers who just got laid off from the computer company down the
road. I suggest that the first-order solutions to these three
problems are, respectively, portfolio, portfolio, and portfolio.

--Joe