Re: Should STC be on this list?

Subject: Re: Should STC be on this list?
From: Susan Stewart <susan -at- AVALANCHE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 10:17:05 -0600

Stuart Selber wrote the following in response to Chuck Banks
(discussion of presentations at STC conferences):

> We should also perhaps recognize that as individuals, we have
> different needs and expectations that most likely will get met
> in only small degrees at even the most interesting and useful
> conferences.

Thank you, Stuart. This became *very* clear to me when I got the
comment sheets from the presentation I gave in Dallas. About 2/3
of the comments were positive, ranging from mildly pleased to
zealous praise. The other 1/3 ranged in negativity from the person
who didn't like the way I dressed to the gentleman who wasn't sure
I should be allowed to continue breathing. Although the program
listed my presentation as an introductory discussion, I was flamed
for being both too elementary and too advanced, for not presenting
a workshop/demonstration, and for discussing particular products
both too much and not enough.

This was my first presentation but friends and colleagues who frequently
speak at professional/technical conferences tell me this is the way
people, some of the time.

Tirade notwithstanding, I do agree with Stuart that "it would generally
be nice to have more information about the presentations and what the
speakers are trying to accomplish in their discussions." And it would
generally be nice if we could all keep this information in mind when
forming our expectations.