Re: REAL Technical Writers

Subject: Re: REAL Technical Writers
From: Maria Townsley <maria -at- MSD -dot- MEASUREX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1993 10:15:35 -0400

I am a "practicing professional". I agree that technical communication
includes many areas that are not that "technical". I would rather use
a book on hand-raising exotic birds written by a tech writer with good
resources than one written by a breeder who couldn't organize information
or express himself logically.

I write technical manuals in the software industry. My degree is in English.
I would venture to say that most senior and managing technical writers do
not have a degree specifically in technical writing. The degree itself is
too new for managers to have gotten a degree in tech writing and have put
in the years required to move up into management. However, I also have to
admit that now that we are thinking of expanding my one-person department, I
will be looking for someone with a degree in tech writing. I guess that
just shows how the expectations change for an entry-level person as the
career field itself changes.

-maria

P.S. I don't eat quiche.

Domain: maria -at- msd -dot- measurex -dot- com Maria Townsley Technical Writer
UUCP: ...uunet!mxmsd!maria Measurex
Management Systems Division
Voice: (513)-825-3931 x-316 1280 Kemper Meadow Drive
Fax: (513)-825-5393 Cincinnati, Ohio 45240