Getting the Most from STC Conferences

Subject: Getting the Most from STC Conferences
From: Saul Carliner <CUISACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1993 00:07:20 EDT

I'd like to offer a few suggestions for getting the most out of STC
Conferences:

o Do NOT make a firm plan of sessions you plan to attend until AFTER you
arrive at the conference.

When I was planning the 1989 STC Annual Conference, some of the speakers
dropped out a month or two ahead of time. I replaced them with far
superior speakers on far more interesting subjects, but no one attended
these sessions. People didn't read the Final Program to see which gems had
been added at the last minute. People made firm selections before arriving
at the conference and weren't leaving themselves the flexibility to
benefit from last minute additions to the program.

o Take advantage of STC's regional conferences, scheduled this fall.
Conferences I'm aware of include:

o Region 2 Conference (U.S. mid-Atlantic states), October 23
o Region 4 Conference (U.S. Great Lakes, Central Midwest), October 14
o Region 5 Conference (U.S. Southwest), Scottsdale, AZ, October 15-16
o Region 7 Conference (U.S. Mountain and Northwest region, Western
Canada), Seattle, WA, November 12-13
o Region 8 Conference (California, Pacifica), San Jose (I think), mid-
November
o Professional Conference on Communication, Oak Ridge, TN, November 5-6
o Currents 1993, Atlanta, February 1994
o Tenth Florida Technical Writing Conference, February 1994
o Spectrum 94, Rochester, NY, March 1994

Disclaimer: This information is sort of accurate, but for actual dates
and contact information on each of these conferences, see Intercom,
the STC Newsletter. The contacts in these newsletters can provide you with
registration fees.

"
Saul Carliner, Ph.D Student CUISACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- GSU -dot- EDU
Instructional Technology 404/892-3945 (w&h)
Georgia State University