State Names

Subject: State Names
From: "S.North" <north -at- HGL -dot- SIGNAAL -dot- NL>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 15:08:24 +0200

Well, well, this IS a first (chuckle, chuckle). Sorry Chuck but I (an
Englishman) have to correct you (an American) on the abbreviations for
American state names (boy, I'm enjoying this....).

The following is from the United States Government Printing Office (latest
edition is March 1984), your definitive authority on the subject:

Alabama -- AL
Alaska -- AK
Arkansas -- AR
Arizona -- AZ
California -- CA
Colorado -- CO
Connecticut -- CT
Delaware -- DE
Florida -- FL
Georgia -- GA
Hawaii -- HI
Idaho -- ID
Illinois -- IL
Indiana -- IN
Iowa -- IA
Kansas -- KS
Louisianna -- LA
Maine -- ME
Maryland -- MD
Michigan -- MA
Massachusetts -- MA
Minnesota -- MN
Mississippi -- MS
Montana -- MT
Missouri -- MO
Nebraska -- NE
Nevada -- NV
New Hampshire -- NH
New Jersey -- NJ
New Mexico -- NM
New York -- NY
North Carolina -- NC
North Dakota -- ND
Ohio -- OH
Oklahoma -- OK
Oregon -- OR
Pennsylvania -- PA
South Carolina -- SC
South Dakota -- SD
Tennessee -- TN
Texas -- TX
Utah -- UT
Rhode Island -- RI
Vermont -- VT
Virginia -- VA
Washington -- WA
West Virginia -- WV
Wisconsin -- WI
Wyoming -- WY
Canal Zone -- CZ
District of Columbia -- DC
Guam -- GU
Puerto Rico -- PR
Virgin Islands -- VI

I have added the ones that Chuck left out. The rule is two capital letters, no
stops. The choice is a bit arbitrary for letters, any two that are
recognisable it seems.

================= Gravity is a myth; the Earth sucks ! =================
Simon North FISTC Quality Group, Software R&D
north -at- hgl -dot- signaal -dot- nl Hollandse Signaalapparaten BV