Re: What is ADP?

Subject: Re: What is ADP?
From: Pete Nofel <aa794 -at- CLEVELAND -dot- FREENET -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1993 17:56:17 GMT

In a previous article, susanm -at- NCD -dot- Com (Susan Mitchell) says:

>My friend is applying for an entry-level technical writing job
>for which experience with ADP is a requirement.

>What does ADP stand for?
>Is it computer system-specific? Which system?
>Is it a highly technical skill?
>Is there any way to come up to speed on it quickly?

>My friend mentioned something about DNA as well. What's that?

>Clueless and unable to advise,

ADP is a somewhat archaic term meaning "Automated Data Processing." It
has come to mean, in a general sense, dealing with information stored and
processed on and by computers. It dates back to the Cretaceous Period when
mainframes ruled the world and mammals were little fuzzy creatures with
funny hair, clipboards, acne, and white lab coats that served this big
machines.
This nicely ties into your second question: What does DNA stand for?
The most widely used term DNA represents is deoxyribonucleic acid, a
nucleic acid that is the main constituent of the chromosomes of cells that
determines hereditary characteristics. Through some chance happenstance,
some say random mutation and other say intervention from interstellar
visitors from E. Vermicelli, the little mammals mentioned above became
what we now call Usenetters. Critters like yourself, who find it easier
to post questions like these than look in the dictionary.