Information Mappping

Subject: Information Mappping
From: Jim Taylor <j -dot- taylor5 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1993 04:03:00 BST

On 30 Aug, Michael Hacker asked:
>> Does anyone have experience with the Information Mapping
>> Method? I'm looking for objective opinions on this method
>> for developing structured user documentation.

I'm a bit late with this response -- time flies.

Information Mapping has been widely used for the past several
years in the company I work for. It was discovered by a
technical writer at an STC conference. After attending a four-
day seminar on mapping, she saw it as something the company
needed and begin to push for setting up a seminar -- in spite
of a boss who was against it. After the seminar she set up, all
the students (including me) started helping her push it as a
standard.

We now have three certified Information Mapping teachers in
the company and one contract employee certified. The seminar
has been taught at company sites all over the world (which
makes me wish I had pushed my supervisor a little harder to be
certified as a teacher). We developed a "how to do it" book on
writing and distributing internal technical documentation that
recommends the Information Mapping method.

I stumbled into technical writing and teaching after several
years of progrramming. I had been looking for help in
improving my ability to design documentation, and Information
Mapping was just what the doctor ordered.

Creating the standard mapping page layout is a bit tough in
most text editors and word processors. I developed a set of
macros and styles for DECwrite (from Digital Equipment
Corporation) and for TPU (a text editor also from Digital).
Others in the company developed macros for Word for Windows.
Information Mapping, Inc. sells styles for some word
processors, but they wanted too much per copy when I last
checked.

Regards,
Jim Taylor
j -dot- taylor5 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com