ZIP codes

Subject: ZIP codes
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1993 10:35:00 IST

Gordon Meyer's experience demonstrates that sometimes the Postal Service
looks more carefully at the state abbreviation than at the ZIP code (but
not very carefully at either).

My experience, on the other hand, shows that the opposite can also happen.
Several times a year I receive mail from the US that has gone first to
Indiana because, though the envelope is addressed not to Indiana but to
Israel, my five-digit postal code in Israel happens to coincide with the
American code for Cloverdale, Indiana.

(By the way, ZIP stands for Zone Improvement Plan and it started out
all-caps. Is it by now "Zip"? Or even "zip"?)

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com
Publications Manager | Voice: +972-9-584684, ext. 230 (work),
SEE Technologies Ltd. | +972-9-552411 (home)
Box 544, Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-543917
"Death to fanatics!"