Re: Interviewing for freelance contract - need info!

Subject: Re: Interviewing for freelance contract - need info!
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 14:29:44 -0500

Kathleen Nosbisch considers entering the world of freelance contracting:

> I would like to find out if there are any additional items I need to
> consider for a contract job that wouldn't be an issue with a regular
> full-time position, like things I need to be sure to ask, get in
> writing, or whatever else I need to accomplish to have this excursion
> be successful.

> Some of the things I have thought of include:

> - Do they expect masters or final/finished/bound copy at completion
> - Do I work on-site or off (they have an office established with
> hardware/software, so I'm told...)
> - How/where do I get source
> - Pay rate, i.e., per hour, per project, or what...
> - Is payment made on a regular basis or upon completion of the job...
> - Graphics: do I do them or is there a graphic artist who I'll work
> with...

> and so on.....

Here's a collection of wisdom from a variety of misc.writing
contributors regarding proposals, pricing, contracts and stuff like
that. I even claim responsibility for *some* of the advice. I hope it
helps, and good luck to you.

===> On preparing a proposal:

1. Prepare a proposal for your prospective client based upon what
you think he or she wants. Include such things as title of the
document, purpose and scope, intended audience, implementation
details, page count, outline, source material requirements, other
sub-contractors (if any) and schedule for deliverables.

2. Prepare an estimate of you time for each major step in
producing the document - research, first draft, technical review,
revisions, any other reviews, further revisions, editing, artwork,
indexing and production. Include this in the proposal.

3. Price your efforts according to your time and materials
estimate, stating that any additional time or materials needed to
complete the project due to circumstances beyond your immediate
control will affect the schedule for deliverables, and will be
charged backed to the client.

4. Ask for half up front, say you'll collect the other half
upon completion.

5. Have a place for the client to sign. Make the client sign two
copies; you keep one.

6. Charge what you think you're worth so as to make the sale.
Sound the client out - if the client only wants to spend a
thousand bucks, structure your proposal so that he gets a thousand
bucks worth of stuff. Don't cheat yourself, charge $30-40 per hour
for your time - more if it looks like you can get it. Make sure
you clearly set forward who pays for what, and adjust your rates
accordingly. If you can, get expense money up front. Keep your
receipts.

===> On setting fees:

The fees you charge depend on the market your in - AND the people
who are hiring you. I have charged anywhere from $25 to $35
dollars an hour. (Typically, if I am working with/for an
individual who has a project or a small business I charge $25
dollars. If I am working for a large company - $35).

I DON'T charge by the page - and I would not. Each project is
different, requires a different amount of research, and different
level of editing, etc.....on some, a page can take 8 hours.
On others a page might take 15 minutes.

You should check out the STC salary survey - they may list some
regional freelance rates.

===> On writing a contract:

A contract is always a good idea. Some of the things I put in my
contract are:

1. Payment schedules. If the project is going to be long, you
don't want to wait until the last day to be paid something. I ask
for half payments after half of the project is done.

2. How many edits are allowed. Some people will want to edit your
document 100 times, which means you will be rewritting the
document 100 times. I spell out in the contract the numbers of
times they are allowed to edit, usually 2 or 3. After that, I
give an actual amount they will have to pay if they still want to
make changes.

3. Time and date. Write down exactly when they want the document
done. This will give you power to demand information on a timely
basis. If they want it done in three moinths, but they don't give
you final information until two days before they expcect the
document, you can use your contract to show them that you have
to be given the information sooner.

4. What is delivered. Be clear on what you will give the company.
usually give them two hard copies of the document, and a disk with
the data so they can bring it up on their own computers.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"That's a, I say, that's a JOKE, |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| son." - Foghorn Leghorn |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|