Re: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey Results

Subject: Re: Technical Communication in the Computer Industry: Survey Results
From: Steve Barnet <barnet -at- MAYBERRY -dot- CRAY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 07:42:58 CDT

Howdy,

As a recent graduate, I agree with your results (or should I say that I am
not at all surprised by them). My school didn't offer a full tech comm
program, so my degree is CS w/ Tech Writing. Even so, the classes I had
seemed about in line with the results of this survey.

Heavy emphasis was placed on outlining and editing. It was a good, general
preparation for my job. It gave me the basic tools to work with. On the other
hand, it gave me little practical experience to apply toward what I'm doing
now (writing reference & repair manuals). In fact, the class named Technical
Writing was actually more like a business communication class.

In many ways I think the educators are in a tough spot. Many teachers who
do not have a technical background are being asked to teach technical
communication. Is it any wonder that they resort to what they know best?

Just my $.02.

---Steve

+ Steve Barnet | The normal world situation +
+ Hardware Pulications & Training | doesn't happen ofetn -- but it +
+ Cray Research, Inc. | could. +
+ I speak for myself, not my employer! | --Rod Anderson +
+ barnet -at- cray -dot- com | Cray Research, Inc. +