More on red pens

Subject: More on red pens
From: BURGAMW1 <burgamw1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 13:41:13 EDT

I've found that the color of the pen I use to edit or review a document (I do
both, depending upon what hat I'm wearing) doesn't matter so long as I'm
diplomatic about the changes.

First, I make it clear that most of the changes are suggestions only and that
I'm open to discussion about them. For example, if I rewrite a sentence or
paragraph, I'll query the author as follows, "The material was not clear; ok as
rewritten?" Usually my change is ok. Sometimes the author will rewrite my
change. Either way, the material is clarified and the document is improved.

Those changes that are not open to discussion I'll explain in a short note; for
example, "To conform to the style of the document." Or I'll give a reference to
support the change, for example, "American Institute of Physics Style Manual."

If major rewriting or reorganization has to be done, I'll meet with the author
(the engineer or physicist) and explain the problems and what I'd like to do to
improve the document. Usually, the authors are thankful for any help I can give
them.

Murrie Burgan, Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory