Comments from an attorney about tech. comm.

Subject: Comments from an attorney about tech. comm.
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 09:52:56 -0500

The following message was sent to me by Barbara Harrison,
my STC chapter president (not currently a subscriber to this
list). The comments relate to our recent Tulsa-area meeting,
which I did not get to attend.

These comments are relevnt to all in our profession.

You may reply to me <lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com>, to Barbi
<harrison -at- tulsa -dot- dowell -dot- slb -dot- com>, or to the list.

LaVonna Funkhouser lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com
vp and membership manager, Oklahoma chapter of STC

------------------Message from B. Harrison--------------------------------------
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 93 11:03:40 CDT
"mrgate::ascct6::dsnacq::harrison"%mrgate%ascct6%ascct6 -dot- austin -dot- nam -dot- slb -dot- com -at- inte
rnet

LaVonna:
<deletions of an unrelated nature>

The speaker was dynamite! We had the attorney who won a
$1-million lawsuit against Evenflo based on "inadequate
instructions." It was an interesting discussion. He said
something at one point regarding the level of our profession as
seen by the outside world. We were talking about the fact that
the writer and illustrator of the instruction sheet for the
baby seat that failed, and how neither of them had any formal
technical communication training. Both had 2 years of trade
school in industrial design right after highschool. The
attorney said, "You will have 'arrived' (i.e., been recognized
by the outside world as a bonafide profession) when attorneys
qualify expert witnesses, in cases like this one, by whether
their degree is in technical communication, and whether they
are members of STC." An interesting thought.

The meeting was not [video] taped. My camera broke during our karate
test the other night, and I didn't have time to line up another
one. Jack was going to try to get TDW's but didn't. Sorry.
<deletions>