Re: one-person dept.

Subject: Re: one-person dept.
From: Ilana Levenson <tmc!ilana -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 11:25:39 -0400

I am a one-person department and for the most part I love it. This
is my second job as the only writer, and I am still learning a lot as
I am writing about many things which I know little about.

I became bored at my previous job because I ended up writing about
the same kinds of systems, and they were not very challenging after a
while. Also, the organization was not concerned with making sure I
was happy. (Learning about new technologies in the tech writing
field is fun for me, and my current company allows and encourages me
to do that.)

I wouldn't call myself too overworked -- yet. I work hard, and I
enjoy the work very much. I get a lot of satisfaction out of doing
all the work on documents.

I am beginning to do online docs and I think this presents more of a
challenge for one person since it seems to involve more work and more
places to make mistakes. If/when I have too much to do, my company
will hire somone else.

I don't feel too isolated because I end up working with a variety of
very bright people.

That's all.

-ilana

ilana -at- monitor -dot- com