Re: Recent sexism postings

Subject: Re: Recent sexism postings
From: Brad Mehlenbacher <brad_m -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1993 00:17:59 -0400

Rose-->

I've always found it particularly disturbing that the first time I read
the senseless beauty statement, it was on a bumper sticker ;) In
principle, I agree with your remark, but with one critical proviso: in my
general experience, it is false to assume that "[people] have more to
learn about racism from African-Americans and other people of color" or
that "men have more to learn about sexism from women than women from men."
I watched a woman of color claim on TV the other night that
African-Americans are incapable of racisism (despite what we've seen in LA
between blacks and koreans), and some of the most ruthless masogynists I've
ever met are women (depending on your definition of masogyny, I agree).

All this makes me long for a Net that ascribes, at random, a name, race,
gender, age, appearance, economic status, and hypothetical job-title, to each
and every one of use each and every time we log on--wouldn't the chips
fall in every conceivable direction then!

>> Brad Mehlenbacher Phone: (919) 515-4138 <<
>> Assistant Professor Fax: (919) 515-7856 <<
>> Technical Communication <<
>> E-mail: brad_m -at- unity -dot- ncsu -dot- edu <<
>> English Department <<
>> NC State University "An academic is someone naive enough <<
>> Raleigh, NC 27695-8105 to beg downsized companies for money" <<

P.S. Name, sex, title, and place of employment computationally constructed.