Re: Employment Discrimination and Tech Communication

Subject: Re: Employment Discrimination and Tech Communication
From: Ann Balaban <annb -at- DADD -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 14:59:30 CDT

o How many of you advocate the team approach to product development? If you
do, then you have to address differences head on because differences don't
only exist on demographic levels, they also exist on professional levels.
Programmers tend to put down technical writers who, in turn, put down their
editors . . . Wait till the programmer is female, the tech writer is from
India, the tester is Asian, the marketing person is African
American--you've
just added a dimension of tension to an already known conflict. But if we
can openly discuss our feelings and differences, how can we expect to
get past the conflict and benefit from the synergy?
> "
> Saul Carliner Ph.D. Student
> Instructional Technology Geo. State Univ.
> Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945

Saul, you need to get out in the working world. This situation has existed
for a few years and we don't seem to have problems with the identity of the
person -- or even consider it in the team environment. The problem is with
the differences in professional opinion, which is where it should be.

annb -at- dadd -dot- ti -dot- com