What and Why (was Nazi Rhetoric)

Subject: What and Why (was Nazi Rhetoric)
From: "S.North" <north -at- HGL -dot- SIGNAAL -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 17:07:16 +0100

While endorsing Stuart Selber's opinion of Nazi rhetoric (IMHO Hitler was also
a brilliant orator, just as Winston Churchill was ... strange how both sides
turned out such charismatic characters at just the right (same) time), doesn't
this raise the old question of the message versus the media?

A question for you Stuart ... if the 'what' is wrong, how on Earth can it be
either usable or useful (a manual on MS-DOS that describes the usage of Unix,
the mind boggles!)?

... as for the how and the why, surely the two are so tightly connected that
they cannot even be considered as separate entities? I must know why you want
the information (i.e. what you intend/are supposed to do with it) in order to
present it in the right manner. [BTW I am still looking for the genius in the
British Ministry of Defense who sent my helicopter regiment out on exercise
with on-line maintenance documentation ... the nearest power outlet for the PC
was about 40 miles away on the other side of 'enemy' lines ... the 'what' was
brilliant but the 'how' left just a little to be desired.]

Simon North FISTC Quality Group, Software R&D
north -at- hgl -dot- signaal -dot- nl Hollandse Signaalapparaten BV