Re: Justifying Additional Staff

Subject: Re: Justifying Additional Staff
From: Michael Gos <GOS -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 11:55:29 -0600

Brian,

While the hours worked on various projects over the past few years are helpful,
they'll be more persuasive when contextualized as a situation in the future.

In a company I consulted with, we justified hiring two new tech writers by
presenting the man-hours needed to produce copy for future products coming
down the pipeline, desired revisions of currently weak or dated manuals, and
showing ways that a larger tech writing staff could serve the needs of other
departments. We also looked at specific needs. We were putting out a NLP
package and needed a tech writer with a linguistics BG.

It worked!

Michael Gos
University of Houston