Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Oct 1993 to 6 Oct 1993

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 5 Oct 1993 to 6 Oct 1993
From: Steve Fouts <sfouts -at- ELLISON -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 14:23:33 CDT

|}
|} Tech Writers:
|}
|} Our student chapter of the STC here at Tech would like to enlist
|} your help in rounding up quotable quotes about writing...of all
|} types...by people who do it daily.
|}

My all time favorite, I think, is Hemmingway. Though not written especially
for Technical Writers, it does seem to fit what I do:

The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shock-proof shit
detector. This is a writer's radar, and all good writers have it.
-- Ernest Hemmingway

Plus, as an added bonus today only:

No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.
-- Robert Frost

Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops
of blood form on your forehead.
-- Gene Fowler

All of us learn to write in second grade. Most of us go on to greater things.
-- Bobby Knight

If you can't annoy somebody, there is little point in writing.
-- Kingsley Amis

All writing is garbage.
-- Antonin Artuad

The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it.
-- Leo Rosten

Now how much would you pay?

* _ ___ * sfouts -at- ellison -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
* _ /\ |\ _ * "a little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of
* / / \ _| \ \ * explanation."
* \_/ _/ \_/ * <Boilerplate disclaimer here>