Re: Responsible use of Obviously

Subject: Re: Responsible use of Obviously
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 12:49:36 -0500

I agree that "obviously" should be edited out. The same
thing applies to "As you can see... ."

For example, a manual might use the sentence, "As you can
see in Figure 1, the temperature increased during this period."

Change to: Figure 1 illustrates that the temperature increased
during this period.

If anyone has a better way to eliminate phrases such as "as you
can see," I'd like to know. I run across this kind of thing
quite often in the writing of engineers.

LaVonna lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com